Sunday, March 24, 2013

I Am A Christian

“Then the father said to him… ‘We had to celebrate and rejoice, because this brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.” (Luke 15:2)

“When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I’m not shouting ‘I’ve been saved!’”
I’m whispering ‘I get lost!  That’s why I chose this way.’

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I don’t speak with human pride.
I’m confessing that I stumble – needing God to be my guide

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I’m not trying to be strong.
I’m professing that I’m weak and pray for strength to carry on.

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I’m not bragging of success.
I’m admitting I have failed and cannot ever pay the debt.

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I’m not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible but, God believes I’m worth it.

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I still feel the sting of pain,
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name.

When I say... ‘I am a Christian,’ I do not wish to judge.
I have no authority – I only know I’m loved.”
         [--Attributed to Maya Angelou, this poem was actually written by Carol Wimmer in 1988,
             and it is cited here from the book Chicken Soup for the Christian Family Soul]

Remember, God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment