Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Look For The Helpers & Trust God


My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust” (Psalm 91:2)

In light of the dual tragedies in West, Texas and at the end of the Boston Marathon earlier this week, it’s helpful to remember that belief in God does not keep us safe from harmful things, but that even in the midst of harmful things, God is here with us.  What we have to do is look for His presence even in those situations.

Many of you may have already read or seen the quote from  Mister Rogers’ Parenting Book that went viral after the Newtown, CT tragedy.  In case you haven’t, I share it again in response to the Boston bombing as words of hope:  “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."  [--From Huffintonpost.com, April 16, 2013, “Look for the Helpers”]

So, where is God in the midst of tragedy?  He is literally “in the midst of tragedy” in and through the actions of “helpers,” and through the prayers of people like you and me. Along this same line, Psalm 91 expresses this same kind of confidence in God’s protection -- a protection that’s not for our physical well-being, but a protection of our souls and spirits, assuring us of God’s presence even in the midst of tragedy:

You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.’ For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence; he will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, or the arrow that flies by day, or the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or the destruction that wastes at noonday.”

So, I encourage and invite you to join me in being a “helper” by praying for the people of Boston.  Our Sanctuary will be open this Wednesday (April 17) from 5-7pm for drop-in prayer for this very purpose.  I hope you will join me then.  And always remember that God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment