Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Glory Is In the Struggle

“Do not grow weary in doing what it right, for we will reap at the harvest if we do not give up.” (Galatians 6:9)

When we think about trials, troubles, challenges, and struggles today, we usually think of them only in negative terms -- as things to be avoided or “fixed” as soon as possible.  However, I once ran across the following devotional that spoke of our need to learn the value of such struggles of and in life…

A friend was complaining that even though she and her husband constantly work at their relationship and seek help from a counselor, they are still plagued with problems.  ‘It feels like we’ll be working at this forever,’ she sighed.  I suggested that maybe we glorify God as much in the struggle as in the solution.  ‘Your children are learning that you don’t give up on a relationship,’ I said.  ‘You keep working at it.’

A similar thought occurred to me when I was hit by yet another battle with depression.  Though I take medication and receive counseling, my old enemy still occasionally returns.  I realized that continuing to fight is evidence of faith and trust.  The glory is in the struggle.  By trusting God through the struggle instead of despairing that I am not yet ‘cured,’ I can view each episode as an opportunity to glorify God.

We love neat resolutions and happy endings.  But it is often in clinging to God when we don’t see answers that we witness most convincingly.  A watching world will be inspired by a faith that won’t quit!”
            [BMarianne Jones in Upper Room, devotional guide, October 25, 2000]

Whatever relationship or situation you apply the above to, it=s great biblical and practical advice!  I hope to see you at church this Sunday as we provide you with tools to successfully struggle through life!  Remember, God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment