Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pastor's Top Ten List

“Be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves.” (James 1:22)

Being new to a church, I am often asked, "Pastor, how can we help you the most?"  While the following thoughts and sentiments are not original with me, here is a list of "Top Ten" things we pastors (myself included) most love to hear from church members...

10.       Hey, it’s MY turn to sit in the front pew!

9.         I was so caught up in the sermon, I never 
            noticed that the service went 10 minutes 
            over!

8.         Personally, I find sharing my faith with others more enjoyable than golf.

7.         Pastor, I’ve decided to give our church the $200 a month I was spending on the 
            lottery.

6.         I want to volunteer to be the permanent Sunday School teacher for the Middle 
           School class.

5.         In addition to what we give to our Conference Apportionments in our church budget, let’s give more than that to missions!

4.         Pastor, I just love it when we sing songs and hymns that we’ve never sung before!

3.         I was thinking “somebody ought to do something about that,” and then I thought
            “I’m going to do something about it!”

2.         Pastor, we’d like to send you to that Bible conference at the Walt Disney World.

1.         Pastor, would you help me discover some ministry that God could use me in?

[-Modified from a 1996 newsletter article by Rev. Don Underwood from 
  Bowdon First UMC, Bowdon, GA]

My prayer is that we would be a church filled with people who seek God and seek to find a place where they can serve Him!  Remember that God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment