“By grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)
As we begin a new sermon series on “Spiritual Fitness,” we’re beginning with a focus on the spiritual practice of being open to God’s grace. As the scripture above points out, grace is a gift. With that in mind, we’re also called to share it with others. As I was preparing my message, I came across this list of “Priceless Gifts to Give for Free” from an anonymous author…
1. The gift of listening... Try giving this to someone in need. And you must really listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your responses. Just listen
2. The gift of signs of affection... Be generous with your hugs, kisses and gentle squeezes of the hand. Let these tiny actions demonstrate the love inside of you.
3. The gift of a note... It can be as simple as "I Love You" or as creative as a sonnet. Put your notes where they will surprise your loved ones.
4. The gift of laughter... Just cut out a cartoon, save a clever article. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you."
5. The gift of compliment... A simple "You look good in blue" or "Good supper" can be of greatest value to those who may feel they are being taken for granted.
6. The gift of a favor... Help with the dishes, run an errand, etc.
7. The gift of leaving alone... There are times in our lives when we want nothing better than to be left alone. Become more sensitive to those times and give solitude.
8. The gift of a cheerful disposition... Try to be cheerful around those you love.
9. The gift of a game... Offer to play your loved one's favorite game. Even if you lose, you'll be a winner.
10. The gift of prayer... Pray for your loved ones and let them know you pray for them.
I pray that these ideas will inspire and challenge you to pass on the “gift” of grace that God has already given to you! Remember that God loves you and I do, too!