Sunday, August 25, 2013

Psalm of Single-Mindedness

“Investigate my life, O God; get all the facts firsthand. I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking.”  (Psalm 139:1-2, THE MESSAGE)
 
 “Lord of reality, make me real…
not plastic, synthetic, pretend, phony,
an actor playing out his part -- a hypocrite.
 I don’t want to keep a prayer list... but to pray;
 Nor to agonize to find your will...
but to obey what I already know;
 To argue theories of inspiration... but to submit to your Word.
 I don’t want to explain the difference between
eros and philos and agape... but to love.
 I don’t want to sing as if I mean it... but to mean it.
 I don’t want to tell it like it is... but to be like You want it.
 I don’t want to think another needs me...
but to know that I need You, O God --
or else I’m not complete.
 I don’t want to tell others how to do it... but to do it;
 I don’t want to always have to be right...
but to admit when I’m wrong.
 I don’t want to be a census taker... but an obstetrician;
            not just an involved person, a professional... but a friend.
 I don’t want to be insensitive...
but to hurt where other people hurt;
nor to say I know how you feel,... but to say God knows.
 And I’ll try if you’ll be patient with me
and meanwhile I’ll be quiet.
 I don’t want to scorn the clichés of others...
but to mean everything I say...
 Including this.”
 
[--Written by Joseph Bayly, from his book Psalms of My Life (Wheaton, Ill: Tyndale House, 1969)]
What great words and thoughts to ponder, pray, and practice!  I hope they will describe your life, even as I am working on them describing mine!  Remember that God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment