Thursday, April 9, 2020

Psalm 121 - A Musical Reflection



For today's blog, I invite you to listen as I sing the words of Psalm 121 in both Hebrew (it's not perfect pronunciation, so I ask for grace!) and in English.  It's actual title is "My Help (Psalm 121)", and it is one of my all-time favorite songs by contemporary Christian singer and songwriter Michael Card from his 1990 album The Way of Wisdom.

If you tune in to our church's "Good Friday" online service tomorrow night (April 10, 2020), you will hear me sing this as the very ending of that service. 

In its original context, like many of the Psalms, it was a hymn that Jewish pilgrims sang on the way to the annual Passover celebration while travelling from the low-lying basin of the Jordan River westward up into the hills where lay their destination -- the holy city of Jerusalem.  This is the origin of it's subtitle "A Song of Ascents" -- meaning that it was to be sung while "ascending" into the hills in which Jerusalem sits.  I pray that you are blessed by its simplicity and the comfort of its message, especially in today's crisis:


Psalm 121:  A Song of Ascents

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—from where will my help come?
2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
8 The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore. 


As we journey towards Easter, never forget that God loves you and I do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment